Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Homemade Chalkboard Paint

I have been looking at these amazing glasses in Southern Living and Country Living... They are just tumblers with chalkboard paint. You can write who is drinking what... So cute! But I am not able to pay the price that they were asking. So I decided to research how to make them myself. Long story short... I didn't make them. I just made Homemade chalkboard paint. Everyone from Martha to every other crafty blogger had the same recipe. "FOOL PROOF," I proclaimed and went to work




Step 1. Find a surface you would like to turn into a chalkboard. Then head to your local home improvement store and purchase Unsanded Tile Grout. Pick out a paint (you can even use leftover paint that you are storing in the basement. I suggest that you use semi-gloss paint) Clean the surface that you are painting. In a party cup mix 1 cup of paint to 2 tablespoons of grout. Mix well. (Plastic forks are great for mixing)




Step 2: Using a roller (Not a brush... yeah I know one is displayed above) coat the surface with paint and let dry. Repeat this step 3 or 4 times



Step 3: Lightly sand the surface with fine sandpaper until it is smooth.




Step 4: Decorate it and write on it! Then hang it up somewhere!




FYI: This stuff is pretty durable. I dropped the board twice and it didn't chip and it erases like a regular chalkboard.


Total Project Costs:


Board: Free it was laying in the basement

Grout (10 lb bag): 11$

Paint: 3$

Frame: Just some hotglue, twine and sticks from the yard.


Total: 14$ with a ton of grout left over for more projects.


Next project: Homemade Chalkboard Paint on Tumblers!!!


2 comments:

Sabasue said...

neato. I bought chalkboard spray paint the other day. We spray painted the lids of mason jars and label whatever is in them with chalk.

Anonymous said...

Silly Sabasue... you could have just made your own! But that is a super cool idea... for all your pesto! ~ Maggie